Are you ready for some football?
Saturdays in the fall mean football in WInston-Salem, as the Twin City is home to two of the state’s most popular programs — Wake Forest University (Go Deacs!) and Winston-Salem State (Go Rams!).
Luckily for football fans, the 2022 season features a home game nearly every weekend throughout the fall. Keep reading to learn more about each team, their schedules, and how to enjoy an exciting getaway in Winston-Salem.
Wake Forest University Demon Deacons
Let’s hear it for the Old Gold & Black!
Behind Coach Dave Clawson’s steady hand, Wake Forest has become one of the most consistent and exciting football teams in the country, having gone to seven straight bowl games. Now, as Clawson enters his ninth year at the helm, his team is coming off one of the most successful seasons in school history, notching 11 wins en route to the ACC Atlantic Division title.
This season includes some blockbuster home games, including a matchup against ACC powerhouse Clemson (9/24) and a battle with in-state rival UNC (9/12). With some key members back in the fold, including explosive receiver AT Perry, the perenially underrated Deacs should once again be a dark horse contender in the ACC. (Here’s to hoping we see a lot of toilet paper on the Quad this season!)
2022 Wake Forest Football Schedule:
(Home games at Truist Field are in bold)
- Thursday, Sept. 1 vs. VMI (W, 44-10)
- Saturday, Sept. 10 at Vanderbilt (W, 45-25)
- Saturday, Sept. 17 vs. Liberty (Homecoming) (W, 37-36)
- Friday, Sept. 24 vs. Clemson (L, 51-45)
- Saturday, Oct. 1 at Florida State (W, 31-21)
- Saturday, Oct. 8 vs. Army (Family Weekend)
- Saturday, Oct. 22 vs. Boston College
- Saturday, Oct. 29 at Louisville
- Saturday, Nov. 5 at NC State
- Saturday, Nov. 12 vs. UNC (Unrivaled Weekend)
- Saturday, Nov. 19 vs. Syracuse (Senior Day)
- Saturday, Nov. 26 at Duke
- NOTE: The 2022 ACC Championship Game will be Saturday, Dec. 3 at BOA Stadium in Charlotte.
To learn more about Wake Forest football, game times, and post-game highlights, click here.
Winston-Salem State University Rams
Ram Pride, citywide!
This season will be a historic one at Bowman Gray Stadium, as Winston-Salem State celebrates its 80th year of football. Leading the charge again this season will be Head Coach Robert Massey, who signed a 4-year extension this offseason after serving as interim coach the past two years. Massey’s goal for the 2022 season is a simple one: “Restore the legacy,” he says, and bring the CIAA Championship trophy back to Winston-Salem.
The Rams will open this season with four straight road games before finally getting to their first game on Oct. 1. Win or lose, you can be sure of one thing: Ram fans and the legendary Red Sea of Sound will have Bowman Gray rockin’ on game days.
2022 WSSU Football Schedule:
(Home games at Bowman Gray Stadium are in bold)
- Saturday, Sept. 4 vs. Central State University; 4 p.m. (L, 21-41)
- Saturday, Sept. 10 at NC Central University; 6 p.m. (L, 0-41)
- Saturday, Sept. 17 at Elizabeth City State University; 12 p.m. (L,17-20)
- Saturday, Sept. 24 at Chowan University; 6 p.m. (L,7-21)
- Saturday, Oct. 1 vs. Lincoln University; 1:30 p.m. (canceled)
- Saturday, Oct. 8 at Livingstone College; 1 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 15 vs. Shaw University; 1:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 22 at St. Augustine’s University; 1 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 29 vs. Johnson C. Smith; 1 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 5 vs. Fayetteville State; 4 p.m. (Senior Day)
- NOTE: The 2022 CIAA Championship Game will be Saturday, Nov. 12 in Salem, VA
For more information on this year’s Rams football team and post-game highlights, click here.
Winston-Salem offers football fans a myriad of family-friendly attractions, over 500 diverse dining options, vibrant nightlife and entertainment, and much more! Get the inside scoop on where to eat, where to play, and where to stay using the links below. (Or see special hotel package options here).
Have questions on what to see and do in Winston-Salem, or need more information?
Stop in our Visitor Center (200 Brookstown Ave.) or call one of our knowledgeable visitor information specialists at 336.728.4200. Our staff is happy to assist you Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m.–4 p.m.